Thursday, January 13, 2011

3 down, 97 to go

I have tackled 3 soups out of my new cookbook. First was Chicken & Leek soup. My first time cooking with leeks. I had seen them prepped several times on Food Network so I wasn't too intimidated. My second was Bacon & Potato soup, which includes a fair amount of cabbage. My first time working with cabbage (aside from cole slaw). This week I made French Onion soup. It is a high favorite of mine and I knew I was going to be pretty critical of it. I know I'll tweak it a bit the next time I make it but I've got a great recipe to start off with. Ok, ok... I'll share it and what I plan to do in the future:

Ingredients

  • 1 tbsp olive oil (I might use a little more next time, to avoid some burnage on the pan)

  • 2 tbsp butter

  • 4-5 onions thinly sliced (prepare for your eyes to burn!)

  • 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

  • 1 tsp sugar

  • 8 3/4 cups vegetable stock (I realize they sell it in 4 cup boxes so you could probably get away with 8 cups. I had a little extra leftover from a previous soup)

  • 2 tbsp all purpose flour

  • 2/3 cup dry white vermouth

  • 3 tbsp brandy

  • salt and pepper

  • day old crusty bread

  • provolone cheese slices (the thicker the better)


1. Heat the oil with the butter in a large pan. Add the onions, stir well, cover, and cook over very low heat, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. Uncover the pan, increase the heat to medium, stir in the garlic, sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt, and cook, stirring frequently, for 30-40 minutes, until the onions are deep golden brown. It's important to make sure they're deep golden brown. I think I gave up too early in the browning... about 15 minutes in.

2. Meanwhile, bring the vegetable stock to a boil in another pan. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Stir in the vermouth and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, until the alcohol has evaporated, then gradually stir in the hot stock and bring to a boil. Skim off any foam that rises to the surface, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, prepare the croutons: cut crusty bread into cubes, drizzle in olive oil and desired spices (I used garlic powder) and bake for 10 minutes at 350.

4. Stir in brandy, remove the pan from the heat, and taste and adjust the seasoning. Ladle into warmed bowls with croutons and top with cheese.

At step #4, the recipe book calls for the extravagant $16/lb gruyere cheese. I chose to substitute the cheaper provolone cheese for the time being until I perfect the recipe someday. I also don't have the earthenware crocks that can go in the oven so I either melt the cheese with the heat of the soup or pop it into the microwave for a little bit. This is not my picture below, but what I'm shooting for in the future. Delicious looking, right?



I'm looking forward to perfecting this one, and also trying so many more from the book. I think the next on my list is something with clams or shrimp bisque.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious!! I wish John liked onions...that's always been one of my favorite soups. Hope I get to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And look what I found yesterday! A must-have for making this soup! :) http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-International-Onion-Goggles-Pink/dp/B000NQ63V6/ref=pd_sim_k_2

    ReplyDelete