Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Spring Thaw

We had some very unusual but very welcomed weather last week. 3 days were above 50 and we're still thanking God for it. Our icicles all melted (they were starting to become jail bars as they reached the floor of the back deck).



The 2-inch thick ice melted enough to break up and chip off the driveway. We didn't get enough snow meltage to see the ground, but any amount of meltage was welcomed. Our snowbanks were about 7 feet high (reaching over the top of the mailbox) which you can imagine is pretty tough to shovel additional snowfall up on top of!

Once I cleared a decent amount of space on the driveway, I brought Evan out to play with his soccer ball.




As soon as I put him down he was off and running and I think he couldn't stop himself on the slight decline of the driveway towards the road. Before long he hit the ice but surprisingly didn't fall! He became "stuck" (wouldn't move) and we had to rescue the poor crying kid. He played with the ball a little but left plenty of room between himself and the ice.




A short while later he took a spill that left him wet and dirty and he was done.




The next day we tried again and he was afraid to move. He didn't want to be on the pavement, just held or have you squatting right next to him. That didn't last long.

When he went down for a nap, I went out for a mile and a half run. I've been working out inside for a few months now and have been dying to get out and really stretch my legs! It was so warm that I ran in a short sleeved shirt and shorts! I felt warm breezes and even felt the warmth of the sun on my skin! In February!! When I got back I just short of kicked Jack out of the house so he could enjoy it too. He didn't mind! He went for a 3 mile walk.

We tried bringing Evan out again that afternoon when it got up to 60 degrees! This time I brought a blanket out on the almost clear driveway and some toys and a snack. He was perfectly content to hang out on the blanket but didn't dare venture off! We hung out as long as we could until the cool breezes turned into cold strong wind. Even though it was a tease we were so grateful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment