Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Conversation Etiquette

It can be shocking what some people will say to a pregnant woman. I haven't gotten incredibly offended at anything, although I really could have from some comments! Based on my own experience, here are some suggestions of what to say and what not to say to a pregnant woman. There is a gray area that some may get away with depending on how well they know you.

What we love to hear:

  • You look so cute! (great, amazing, etc. pretty much any nice adjective)

  • You're all belly!

  • You're glowing!


Gray Area:

  • Was it planned or a surprise?

  • You know labor lasts about 24 hours with your first kid?

  • You know 1 out of 3 women will end up having a c-section?


What you should never say:

  • Wow, you got chubby!

  • So how is that rapid weight gain going?

  • Are you sure there's only one baby in there?

  • You got a watermelon under there?

  • (If said to someone less than 8 months along) Wow, you look full term!

  • I don't think I ever carried that big with any of mine.


Unsolicited Advice:

  • Should you be eating that?

  • Your life is going to change so much.

  • You think it's bad now...

  • (when around people with crazy kids) See what you have to look forward to?

1 comment:

  1. Shaun and I absolutely HATE it when other parents say to us "just you wait". Olivia is 99% of the time, a wonderful baby so whenever she's sitting quietly, sucking away on a toy, and someone else's kid is acting up they always say "just you wait" or "her time will come". BLAH. I hate that. I will never say that to anyone. Anyways, I love this blog. So true!! :)

    ReplyDelete