Friday, October 23, 2009

He's here!

He was fashionably 1 week late, but totally worth the wait. Evan Rhys (pronounced Reese) arrived Wednesday October 21 at 4:30pm, 41 hours after the first contractions. It wasn't as bad as it sounds! They were pretty mild the first 24 hours and we headed to the hospital Tuesday night when they were 5-7 minutes apart so I could get some drugged sleep in preparation for it all. I had only gotten about 4 hours of sleep the night before. I was 3cm dilated when we got there so the midwife on call admitted me. I got the shot of sleepy drugs just as soon as the Angels got their 3rd out in the last inning of the 10-1 Yankee win so I could sleep a happy woman! I got about 4 hours of sleep that night, waking up when some contractions were really bad. I tried to bear all I could, anticipating that I still wasn't very far along for a few hours and finally called to the midwife to see how far I was and if I could get an epidural yet. I was 8cm!! Whoa! I was worried I missed the cutoff, but she ordered one up for me and I was in heaven shortly. This was all around 7am. Being 8cm dilated we figured it wouldn't be much longer but Evan was taking his time! We just hung out for the day and I kept getting repositioned to move things along. We were finally alllmost there around 2:30 so they started me on a little pitocin to kick things up a notch. I started pushing about 3:15 which was by far the worst part, even with the epidural. And he finally made his grand arrival at 4:30! He was alert and vocal, beautiful and more than we could have hoped for!

It wasn't long before the family was there to meet Evan. He was so good and slept the whole 2ish hours aside from a few peeps that 20 or so people came to meet him and pass him around.

The hospital stay was incredible. We felt like we were on vacation. When we'd catch a local commercial on TV we'd do a double take and wonder how a local spot came on while we were away. Well duh, we were only in Troy! But everyone at the hospital made us so comfortable and catered to all our needs!

We were sad to check out today but it has been so amazing having Evan at home. We love discovering his quirks. He absolutely loves his hands. It's near impossible to swaddle them in, he'll find a way to get them out. He'll chew on them, suck on them and snort up a storm while he tries to get them in his mouth. He loves his swing. He doesn't mind hanging out awake in it, and fell asleep in it for almost an hour today. We love watching him - he's our new favorite show. There are no reruns so you have to catch it while it's on or you'll miss it forever! We just stared at him in the swing for about 20 minutes before having our sushi dinner that was so lovingly ordered long distance from the Dorrs (THANK YOU!).

I'm so blessed to have Jack at home with us for the next week and a half and he's looking forward to soaking up all the Evan time he can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment